Marriage registration of foreigner and Vietnamese citizen
01. Conditions for application
This procedure is applicable to cases where a foreigner and a Vietnanese citizen would like to be married.
02. Applicable laws
1. Law on civil status 2014
2. Decree No. 123/2015/NĐ-CP
Step 1: Prepare the following documents
- An application form for marriage registration;
- A document certifying marital status of a foreigner is a document which is issued by a foreign competent authority, remains valid, and certifies that the holder is being single. If the foreign country does not issue a document certifying marital status, an equivalent document issued by the foreign competent authority certifying the holder’s eligibility for marriage as prescribed in law of such country is required.
- Certificate issued by the health facility which must only remain valid in 6 months from the date of issue.
- A passport, an international travel paper or a residence card.
- If the partner being Vietnamese citizen obtained divorce or granted marriage annulment at a foreign competent authority, he/she shall also submit a copy of vital records about such divorce or marriage annulment; or if the partner being Vietnamese citizen is an official/public employee or an armed force official, he/she shall also submit a document issued by the authority certifying that his/her marriage to the foreigner is conformable with regulations of such sector.
Step 2: Submit the file at the Committee Division of Justice of Provincial People’s Committee where the Vietnamese partner is residing.
Step 3: Get results
Within 10 working days from the date on which the satisfactory application is received, Committee Division of Justice shall assess it and carry out verification deemed necessary. Chief of Committee Division of Justice shall be answerable to the assessment results and any request of Committee Division of Justice in the processing of application for marriage registration. Within 3 working days from the date on which the President of People’s Committee of district signs marriage licenses, Committee Division of Justice shall grant marriage licenses to the partners in person.