Issuance of permanent residence card for foreigners in Vietnam
01. Conditions for application
* Cases in which grant of permanent residence status is considered
1. Foreigners who have contributed to the development and protection of Vietnam and are awarded medals or titles by Vietnam’s government.
2. Foreigners who are scientists or experts temporarily residing in Vietnam.
3. Any foreigner sponsored by his parent, spouse, or child who is a Vietnamese citizen and has a permanent residence in Vietnam.
4. Any person without nationalities who has had a temporary residence in Vietnam from 2000 or earlier.
* Conditions for considering the grant of permanent residence status
1. The foreigners, as shown above, may be granted permanent residence status if he/she has a legitimate residence and is making a decent living in Vietnam.
2. Foreigners who are scientists or experts temporarily residing in Vietnam must be proposed by the Ministers, Heads of ministerial agencies or Governmental agencies in corresponding fields.
3. Any foreigner sponsored by his parent, spouse, or child who is a Vietnamese citizen and has a permanent residence in Vietnam. who have had a temporary residence in Vietnam for 03 consecutive years or more.
02. Applicable laws
1. Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam 2014
2. Circular No. 04/2015/TT-BCA on specimen papers concerning foreigners entering, leaving, and residing in Vietnam
3. Circular No. 219/2016/TT-BTC on licensing fees on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam
Step 1: Prepare the following documents
- A written request permanent residence status;
- A criminal record issued by a competent authority of the country of which the applicant is a citizen;
- A diplomatic note from a diplomatic mission of the country, of which the applicant is a citizen, requesting grant of permanent residence status to the applicant;
- Certified true copy of the passport;
- Papers proving the fulfillment of requirements;
- A note of sponsorship
Step 2: Submit the file
The foreigners shall submit the file to Immigration Administration Department or Division of immigration administration of police authority of the province, depending on particular cases.
Step 3: Get results
- Within 04 months from the receipt of sufficient documents, the Minister of Public Security shall consider granting the permanent residence status; if further investigation is deem necessary, the deadline may be extended for up to 02 months.
- The immigration authority shall send a written notification of the result to the applicant and the police authority of the province where the foreigner wishes to have a permanent residence.
- Within 04 working days from the receipt of the notification from the immigration authority, the police authority of the province shall notify the foreigner of the grant of permanent residence status
- Within 03 months from the receipt of the notification of the grant of permanent residence status, the foreigner must go to the immigration authority affiliated to the provincial police department to receive the permanent residence card